Friday 8 August 2014

It's Your Day

Today's card is my first attempt at sponging my own plaid.  I first saw it in an Online Card Class a few months ago but haven't had the time to try it out.  As soon as I saw the ColourQ inspiration pic, I knew my time had come to give it a go!  I used the sketch from Verve as well as I decided it had been a while since I'd made a layered card.



Believe it or not, I did start out making a clean card but it ended up looking a bit vintage and distressed.  I stamped my balloons and colored them with Copics then because the plaid panel looked old, I decided to vintage-up my main image.  I stamped a mask for the balloons then merrily stamped and sponged around them, ending up by rubbing a bit of Gesso in the corners with my fingers.



Here's a close-up of the stamped plaid, which took quite a while as I stupidly sponged almost a half sheet of cardstock!  I sponged with Early Espresso, Island Indigo, Summer Starfruit and Tempting Turquoise and I love how I ended up with some green squares!

I'm also entering this in the following Dare to Get Dirty Challenges at Splitcoaststampers:

DTGD14SusieAustralia
DTGD14IlinaCrouse
DTGD14~Fee~
DTGD14cathymac






Thanks for visiting.

Products used:

Stamps:  Party Time (Verve), Dictionary (SU)
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, Vintage Photo, Pumice Stone Distress inks, Summer Starfruit, Early Espresso, Island Indigo, Tempting Turquoise (SU), Versamark
Cardstock:  Early Espresso, Island Indigo, Whisper White, Xpress-it
Accessories:  White EP, Lil Inkers Stacked Mats Circles, Copics, Gesso, Linen Thread

Cheers
Karren

Edited to Add:  This card was showcased on the Viva la Verve website plus it got a shout-out at ColourQ.

3 comments:

Doris said...

Absolutely love the hand-made plaid background. I wouldn't have had the patience, but you did a great job. Nice card!

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

Such a great take on the inspiration piece. Just love the colored balloons and the deep shading around them.

Darnell said...

This is SERIOUSLY gorgeous, Karren!! You have so much depth on this card!! Congratulations on the well-deserved Courtier win from ColourQ!! Hugs, Darnell